Which students qualify for free subscriptions underwritten by OSEP?
The U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) has funded access to Bookshare for all qualified U.S. students in K-12, post-secondary, graduate and continuing education classes.
“Students” for OSEP funding include enrolled in classes that meet each of the following conditions: (1) are offered by an educational institution, (2) are on-going for a period of at least a month, and (3) are part of a course of study or curriculum that follow a named set of course-work. Both in-person and distance education classes are included.
What kind of “classes” count for OSEP funding?
Some examples of qualifying classes include:
- Classes that lead to a degree or certificate
- Professional development courses
- Guide dog classes
- Computer training classes
- Hadley School distance education classes
Examples of activities that don’t qualify:
- Short courses (less than one month duration)
- 1:1 tutoring or training
- Non-academic courses such as an exercise classes
How do you get an individual account if the student already has an institutional account?
If the student already has a student login to Bookshare from his/her institution (school), it is easy to add an Individual Membership. By following this method, your student will have easy access to books assigned by the teacher as well as individually-downloaded books. As explained in this video, you’ll simply have your student:
- Log in to Bookshare (using his/her student login)
- Select the “Upgrade to an Individual Membership” link from the left menu on the My Bookshare page.
- Select the link to “sign up” and complete the online form (parent or guardian must complete the form if the student is under 18).
Once this process is completed, the student will be able to search for and access books of their choice. Please be aware that the student will now have full control over his or her username and password.
You may also access these directions in this video tutorial on “upgrading” a student’s institutional account to a full individual membership.